A gentleman by the name of Mr. Samuels donated a piece of realty for the specific purpose of building a House Of Worship. Since 1921, a group of Free Baptists occupied the premises on which they built a board structure in which they held services.
The Free Baptists enjoyed their worship facility until 1951, when Hurricane Charlie devastated Jamaica. Unfortunately, the church building was not spared from the hurricane's intense wrath. After Charlie left Jamaica's shores, only the tiny vestry stood standing, as a prominent testimony that a church once existed.
Many members grieved at the destruction of their beloved church. They looked at the collapsed structure and saw no hope for restoration. Most of them went on to join other churches such as the Kings Gate Christian Church, the Disciples of Christ (now The United Church) and the Church Of God on Mannings Hill Road. Only a few faithful members continued to worship in the shaky vestry.
Reverend Robinson, an associate member of the church, sought to sell the property. However, the late Deacon Fletcher of the Hanover Street Baptist Church, got wind of the Reverend's plan and contacted the Jamaica Baptist Union (JBU) who intervened. They were able to reach an amicable settlement.
Since 1951, the Jamaica Baptist Union through the Calabar Theological College continued to offer spiritual leadership to the fledgling group by sending students to "man the pulpit" on Sundays.
The late Deacon Ethna Barton JP moved from St. James to Kingston in the 1950s, residing in Barbican. Being the devoted Christian person that she was, she immediately saw the need for leadership in the church. Deacon Barton became a member of the fellowship and in a short time made such tremendous impact that her name soon became a household name in the Barbican Community as a result of her charitable service. She exercised a great ministry in the church.
In the early 1960's the all Island J.B.U. Brotherhood observed the struggling, fledgling church. They showed interest and with the blessing of the church and the Union, offered leadership insight.
In 1962 Deacon Angus Scott was propositioned by the executive of the brotherhood to consider transferring his membership from Mamby Park Baptist to Barbican, in order to strengthen the leadership of the church. He prayed about it and in that same year, he and his wife were received into the fellowship. At that time there were no benches for worshippers to sit. Deacon Angus Scott seeing the need, persuaded the Liguanea Mutual Relief Association, of which he if founder and president, to donate nine benches.
In 1963, The Reverend Luther Gibbs assumed the presidency of the lB.U, whilst being the Pastor of the Hanover Street Baptist Church. Being the builder that he is, he made it his mission as president, to see to the establishment of a proper church edifice at Barbican. It was a venture of faith.
When construction started, the church had only three hundred and twenty pounds in its coffers. Through the Union's Revolving Loan Fund, the church secured a loan of three hundred pounds. Deacon Angus Scott signed as guarantor to secure the loan. Worthy of mention is the patience and cooperation of Mr. Gersham Hearon, the builder, member of the Tarrant Baptist Church, who saw to the continuation of the work on the building, even when there was no sign of funds.
On one occasion, the church was short of funds to meet a labour bill. Deacon Barton, who was saving some money to have installed in her home an electric meter, gave the money shed saved for the purpose of assisting in meeting this bill. Such was her dedication and commitment to this church.
A great deal of gratitude is owed to Mr. Herron and Reverend Gibbs who worked miracles in spearheading the project.
The Barbican Baptist Church was built in 1964 and the new church needed a Pastor. Reverend Earl Morgan who was then Assistant Pastor at the East Queen Street Baptist Church was asked to shepherd the small flock. He accepted the position and expressed his willingness to work with the small congregation even without pay. Reverend Morgan was inducted as Pastor in 1965. Under God's guidance, he was able to bring vitality, vision, experience and industry to the new post and the church prospered under his leadership.
Today, there is an additional building on the compound, The Christian Education and Outreach Centre where the church offices are located. Many church activities are held in this building. The said Outreach Complex also hosts a Homework Centre, an Evening Institute, a Girl Guides Unit, a Brownies Pack, Floral Arrangement and Craft classes, a Health Clinic and Saturday Soup Kitchen.
The Barbican Baptist Church has made tremendous strides since the Baptists established a church community in Barbican, and as GOD continues to direct the Church's path, this fellowship will continue to prosper and seek innovative ways in which to serve.